All systems go for the Globe40! Publication of the Notice of Race and opening of pre-registration
Today sees another important step forward in the preparations for the GLOBE40 round the world race with the publication of the Notice of Race and the opening of pre-registration.
Both documents, the Notice of Race and the pre-registration form, are available on the website www.globe40.com, under The Race section.
The general framework for the race has now been officially set out to enable future competitors to prepare their project in the best possible conditions.
And start to know the names and faces of some of the 45 projects from 14 nationalities that have at this stage already started the dream.
Notice of Race: The main principles confirmed
Following on from the Race Draft issued on the project’s launch back in June, the Notice of Race is the first official document to be published for the GLOBE40. It has notably been prepared in response to the wealth of feedback from the questionnaire sent out to any interested parties, whose viewpoints were essentially along the same lines.
It details all the major principles announced in June:
- A double-handed race within the scope of the regulations set out by World Sailing and the Class40
- The possibility of changing one skipper at each stopover, with no limit on the number of changes
- No possibility for a skipper to be part of several crews, except in exceptional circumstances
- A total number of participating boats limited to 25, though the organiser may add extra entries at a later date
- A qualification process based on experience sailing offshore and in competition
- A points-ranking, which will take into account the length of the legs with a bonus awarded to the winners of the leg
- A gradual process for paying the registration fees, which enables everyone to move forward with their project without excessive financial risks
- Setting up of pooled technical support at the stopovers
- Logistical support through the pooled negotiation of the rates for transport, accommodation and catering at the stopovers
To ensure there is time for everyone to prepare for the race as best they can, the list of safety equipment and an adaptation of the rules regarding the number of sails will be detailed in an amendment issued between now and December.
Pre-registration: A first stage to gain access to the event
The pre-registration process organised upon publication of this Notice of Race and through until 30 June 2020 provides the following benefits:
- a priority position on the list of entries in order of arrival of the pre-registrations
- registration fees with no surcharge prior to 1 July 2020.
- communication free of charge regarding GREAT CIRCLE’s routing study
- communication about the various logistical and technical documents
The pre-registration amount of €2,000 ex. VAT is 100 % refundable in case of a withdrawal before 30th June 2020.
Those who are pre-registered will be presented upon receipt of this amount on the website and FB page: in this way the future Round the World family can take shape!
Next step in December for the final information for start and arrival cities.
by Manfred Ramspacher