Warm weather welcomed the VX One teams from five nations on the first day of the Alpen Cup at Riva del Garda.
There was mist further down the lake which meant the thermal wind didn’t come in as strong as it had the day before for the teams which had got out early for a practice.
After a short wait we had three races in 10-14 knots – this made a (small) change from the usual ‘hit the cliff’ strategy! The Canadian team of Justin Quigg & Nick Cleary from the Royal Canadian YC won the day with a very consistent 2,2,2. Club racing every week with up to fifteen VX Ones out really sharpens you up it would appear!
The second day dawned different, a hot morning sun burnt off the mist, and at 12:15 a dark line of wind was coming up the lake towards Riva.
Racing started on time at 1300 and 3 x 3 lap races were completed in 18-25 knots and sunshine. Garda delivered!! The German team in GER 271 (with current 505 World Champion Holger Jess on board) had an outstanding day with a 1,2,1. They were sailing fast and had an unrivalled understanding of the local wind effects. Second team of the day was another team of 505 sailors – Tudor Owen, Chris Lewns & Nathan Batchelor – experience of racing in Garda was key.
The third and final different day was a different experience for most: racing in the morning! An 0830 saw the fleet launch before the sun came over the mountains – and what an experience to sail in that setting with sun rising. Three good races were held in a northerly 6-10 knots. Once again GER were the form team. The SUI tea of Steffen Beat and Moritz Spitzauer sailed very well to clinch second overall.
1. GER 271, Paul Pietzcker, Holger Jess, Arne Wittemer. 8.0.
2. SUI 209, Steffen Beat, Spitzauer Moritz. 20.0.
3. GBR 273, Tudor Owen, Chris Lewns, Nathan Batchelor. 21.0.
4. CAN 272, Justin Quigg, Nick Cleary. 23.0.
5. GBR 149, Keith Lockey, Tom Lonsdale. 27.0.
6. GBR 193, David Chandler, Charles Chandler, Eden Hyland. 30.0.
7. GBR 274, Tom Conway, Alister Kerr, Richard Watson. 44.0.
8. GBR 190, Guy Broom, Phil Rumbelow, Steve Huish. 49.0.
9. FRA 192, Gerard Daugey, Bernard Biscay, P Lancellot. 54.0.
by VX One Class association