As predicted, the wind and swell picked up for a classic day at the ‘rodeo’ for the fleet of International 14 skiff sailors on day three.
The Bay can be a wild stallion, and certainly threw many of the riders off their boats, but race two started with Neale Jones and Ed Fitzgerald, GBR 1553, leading to the windward mark. Closely pursued by race one winners, Andy and Tom Partington, the Australians and German duo Georg Borkenstein and Eike Dietrich – it looked like a repeat from the previous day.
Jones and Fitzgerald ditched it in going downwind, giving the lead to Andy and Tom who never looked back to take another bullet, extending their overall lead. Georg and Eike were swept away by the Aussies, who looked in their element with the battle for the next three places – Mark Krstic / James Lanati (AUS 656) clambered over Roger Blasse / Andrew Gilligan (AUS 657) on the last beat to the finish.
Plenty of heroic stories back on land over a beer, rubbing of bruises and more boat repairs – these sailors just can’t get enough of taking themselves to edge.
Results after Day 3: (top ten)
1. GBR 1559, Penguin Dance, Andy Partington/Tom Partington, Hayling Island SC, 1-1, 2pts
2. GBR 1553, Scrumpet, Neale Jones/Edward FitzGerald, ISC, 2-5, 7pts
3. AUS 656, to late to stop now, mark krstic/james lanati, BRYC, 8-2, 10pts
4. AUS 663, Ronstan/Irwin sails, Lindsay Irwin/Andrew Perry, Black Rock YC, 5-6, 11pts
5. GER 28, just in time, Georg Borkenstein/Eike Dietrich, WSCW, 3-9, 12pts
6. GBR 1530, SMAsh it, Andy FitzGErald/Rich Dobson, Itchenor SC, 7-8, 15pts
7. AUS 672, Alexander Sails, Dave Alexander/Matt Balmer, CYCSA, 12-4, 16pts
8. GBR 1561, Marilyn, Douglas Pattison/Mark Tait, Itchenor Sailing Club, 6-10, 16pts
9. GBR 1546, Jungle Fire, Charles Duchesne/Adam Ovington, Itchenor Sailing Club, 13-7, 20pts
10. AUS 677, Wang Wang, David Hayter/Trent Neighbour, DPSS, 9-13, 22pts
by Simon Butterworth